Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Check it OUT!

http://www.parade.com/articles/editions/2006/edition08-06-2006/Popular
One of my fave authors, Meg Cabot, has written an article on how to be popular.

OK, it's for parents, but it's still a good article, and you should go read it. Here's a quote:
"Self-confidence can't be faked, but it can be fostered."
WRONG!
Seriously, when I was little, I was pretty shy. As in, the kind of girl the teachers would ask other girls to be friends with.
Yeah. THAT type of girl. But when I started acting, when I was about eight, I just got more and more confident. And I'd just kind of pretend. And eventually, I was so not shy. I was the girl who teachers asked to look out for shy girls. If you met me, you wouldn't believe this, but I used to have to force myself to go up and talk to people. I just pretended I wasn't worried or shy. And I actually hardly ever feel shy now, years later. So, maybe it can't be faked, but acting as if you do have confidence can be faked. And, hey, it worked for me.

2 comments:

molly said...

worked for me too! yay for fake confidence.

Hannah U. said...

rawr... does acting help everyone in the world? i was never really shy at all, but it even boosted my confidence like 10 notches, i also know this guy who was like, uber shy like, he didn't talk and now, he like, talks.