Saturday, August 19, 2006

Another short story, this one sci-fi/fantasy.

Two people fall beside me, and I wonder what's going on. Then Tyler yells to drop, they've found out. I know I have to, but I'm frozen. When a shot whistles past me, I come to my senses and fall down, roll over and let my arms fall across my face. It's the only way to stop them from getting us, to pretend we're dead.
The shooting stops, I dare to let out my breath when I hear footsteps. "Yeah, we stopped them," someone grunts, prodding me with his foot. It's all I can do to stop myself from launching myself at him and making him wish he was never born. But I know I can't do that, because everything would be over. "We did," says a voice, cold and flat, and a chill runs down my spine as I realise who it is. I'm dead, you don't know me, you're going away, I'm dead I'm dead I'mdeadI'mdeadi'mdead I think, hoping it will work. I hear footsteps grow fainter, breath, as I realise I've been holding my breath for a while. I slowly get up, but freeze when I see him.
Michael.
I gasp, and his eyes open wide.
"I thought it was you, but I wasn't sure...Your hair..."
I reach up, but my hair is like it always was, jet black and down to my waist. But then as I run my hand over my head, I come across a singed bald spot. I gasp, wonder how it happened, then realise it happened earlier.
I look at him.
"Michael. Please. Why do we have to do this? Why?"
"We don't, Mira. We don't."
"You mean, you'll-?"
I breath, darely able to hope.
He looks down, shakes his head.
"No. I couldn't."
Then he walks away, his head hung low, a gun by his side.
My brother.

I slowly sit down on the grass, and place my head in my hands. I want to cry, but I can't.
Tyler comes over and lays a hand on my shoulder.
"Did you-?"
He asks, his voice hesitant.
I shake my head
"You know I could never do that to him."
"I know."
It's barely a whisper.

We go back, two less then when we started. Siobhan runs up, wanting to know if it worked, but when she sees our faces, she knows. Her face falls, she scans all fifteen of us, looking for her daughter.
She's not there.
"No--she didn't?"
When none of us answer she falls sobbing to the ground.
Why does it have to be like this?
Maybe one thing went wrong, but that doesn't mean all this has to happen...
But I shake the thought out of my head, and walk slowly over to my tent.
There's a note on my pillow, I pick it up, wondering what it is.
Someone once said war isn't the answer.
A gasp comes out of me, the note drops from my fingers and flutters to the floor.
Who?
Surely no one here? So...
Who?

All through dinner, I find myself wondering about Michael.
My twin, my second half.
Where did it all go wrong?
We were always together, united. But know, we couldn't be further apart. My thoughts drift back to the note, and I wonder again who wrote it. When I read it, I immediately thought it couldn't be any of us, but now I'm not so sure.
Do any of us want this?
I look around, and see tired hagged faces. Maybe we should stop? All this is doing is hurting more people...
But then I look down to the small scar on my wrist, and all my thoughts are cast away.
Two part of one whole. United. Now torn, and each vital to each side...
The thought pops into my head, and for the first time I see both of us are vital.
Would this whole thing have happened without us?
Even if it had, would it have grown to the level it has now?
Who knows?
I once read, when I was in hospital, that there was some guy who figured out this theory. The theory was, that all our lives are like static on a television, planned out and we can't take a different route. You can't stop what happens. All the static (or lives) runs along each other, and sometimes it's so thin, you can catch a glimpse of a different time, and that's psychic.
The bit about being psychic didn't interest me, it was the bit about having everything planned out, and that you couldn't change it that I found interesting.
Is it true?
Did I have no choice?
Was it mapped out?
I don't know.

----
Dun, dun DUHN!!!
Saga! You'll have to wait till I feel like updating to find out the rest...

No comments: